Township of Perry
Government - City, Borough & Township
Perry township was part of Windsor Township from 1740 to 1851. An act passed in 1821 provided that Perry Township should be seperate election district, but it was not until 1852 that the Township would actually be established. The village of Shoemakersville was the largest town in the Township. It was governed by township officers from 1851 to 1921, a period of 70 years. Township citizens choose by vote the following officals, road supervisors, school directors, a tax collector, a justice of peace, a constable, and auditors.
The old turnpike formerly known as Route 122, which started from Reading and extended to Sunbury, was completed by the Centre Turnpike Company in 1812. A toll was collected until 1884. It was replaced as a main highway in 1954 when the state constructed Route 61.
- Municipal Authority
- Planning Commission
- Recreation Board
- Board of Township Supervisors