RN Charge Nurse or Supervisor
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with a current license to practice nursing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Has clinical knowledge, skills and abilities and has prior Charge Nurse or relief Charge Nurse experience, preferably in long term care.
- Directs and evaluates the Resident Care being administered on the unit.
- Assists in the direct hands-on care.
- Is responsible for working with all unit employees, including giving orientation to all new employees.
- Makes out employees’ assignments, break and lunch time schedules.
- Assesses residents, initiates, and reviews nursing care plans and goals for each resident, recommending and implementing changes as necessary.
- Implements IV therapy as ordered according to policy/procedure.
- Administers all medications and nurses’ treatments according to policy/procedure.
- Receives and transcribes physicians’ telephone orders as necessary.
- Promotes continuity of care through a positive attitude and good communication and cooperation with other shifts and departments.
- Makes unit rounds as needed to ensure that every resident is receiving quality care.
- Does quality assurance (QA) monitoring and reporting.
- Is responsible for keeping adequate inventory of all supplies on unit.
- Admits, transfers, and discharges residents.
- Makes rounds with attending physician, bringing any changes in residents’ condition to his/her attention.
- Participates in in-service programs on a regular basis. Assigns and monitors unit staff’s attendance at in-services.
- On 7-3 tour of duty, schedules annual physicals and medication reviews with physician.
- Maintains all nursing records in a proper and timely manner.
- Maintains a professional attitude toward residents, families, visitors; dealing with their needs in a proper and tactful manner. As shall be provided by procedures established, notifies families of change in resident’s condition or transfer.
- Is aware of safety, environmental services and maintenance needs on the unit, bringing them to the attention of appropriate department.
- Completes evaluations as needed.
- Conducts unit meetings at least monthly and more frequently according to unit needs.
- Gives emergency care if needed; notifies supervisor promptly.
- Refers to appropriate shift routine as needed.
- Relieves area supervisor as assigned.
- Monitors the overall operation of the unit (personnel, environmental, equipment and supplies).
- In accordance with Pennsylvania MOT Act 102 an employee qualified to work in the job classification will be mandated to work overtime when necessary.
HR Department Contact Information: Lyn Kitchenoff 610.376.4841 X 7401
Fill out application at: http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/HR/Pages/EmploymentOpportunities.aspx